Sunday, July 6, 2008

Long Time; No Update!! We had a flood....

This has truly been THE busiest summer Darren and I have ever experienced. I seriously can't think of another one like it. We are completely exhausted, and it shows this weekend. We were looking forward to a productive 4th of July weekend, and we've had nothing but setbacks all weekend long. The frustration levels were high at the Townsend residence this weekend, which is an indicator that it's time to take a break from projects! Bummer for us though - we have carpet scheduled to go into the weight room in the basement on July 15th, so we have to get that room ready before they show up to install it.

It all started off wrong on Saturday morning - I had a piece of tile in the bathroom that I forgot to cut, and with all of the other projects, that one got put on the back burner. Well, it happens to be the piece of tile that goes underneath the water pipe to the toilet. I lifted it up to fit the tile underneath, and it just wasn't enough space, so I gave it a little tug, and that's when it got ugly..... I heard a SNAP, and then I heard water gushing - keep in mind, we just had our basement drywalled, taped, and textured - and Darren just painted it a week ago. So, I yell out to Darren, "Turn the water off!" He says, "The water?" I said, "Yes! Hurry!" We went downstairs, and water was gushing out of the walls, out one of the heat register, and out of one of the light fixtures. Our good friend and neighbor, Dave, was summoned, and bless his heart - he knew just what to do. We spent the better part of the day fixing it and cleaning up the aftermath. I went to Home Depot once and Ace Hardware three times.

Luckily, there was no major damage to the drywall except for the hole we had to cut out of the ceiling so that we could fix the pipe that I snapped in two. What a nightmare. Now we have to call the drywall guy back out to repair the ceiling. I felt so bad, and Darren was surprisingly "regulated" about the situation; although, he wasn't thrilled by any means.....

We were determined to get one of the projects from our list completed, and the bathroom had to be at the top of the priority list. We needed to get the stupid toilet out of the bathtub and get that place put back together. So, after the cleanup in the basement, we set out to put baseboard trim up. That wasn't too bad. Our first time doing anything like that, and we didn't have any major setbacks on that project except for when there was one small corner piece that I spent quite a bit of time on - getting the angle just right - I asked Darren not to nail through with the finish nailer because it was so small that I feared it would crack. Well, he just couldn't resist. He shot it with the nailer, which resulted in the piece cracking just like I thought it would. Oh well! Guess I deserved that after flooding the basement!!!

After another trip to Home Depot and staying up until 1:00 in the morning, we finished putting the bathroom back together with the exception of painting the trim, but that's a project for another weekend! We're just thrilled to have a working toilet in the master bathroom again!!!

2 comments:

kellie said...

Holy Cow! That was crazy! I am glad you got it all put back together, although I would have like to seen the toilet in the bathtub. That would have been awesome!

Thanks for the post, it's good to hear from you, sorry to hear about your crazy weekend. You guys are awesome! I miss you!

We will definitely have a burrito night as soon as everyone stops coming to my house this summer.

Holly said...

OKAY, did you hear it loud & clear...STOP WORKING SO HARD AND RELAX!!!

We had a flood a few months ago and couldnt figure out how to turn off the water, which was ankle deep - I feel your pain!!!