Monday, September 13, 2010

TB Test Results & First McDonalds!

Peyton is growing less and less fond of her formula! This morning, she wanted it but barely drank any of it. She just wanted me to hold her. She was awake a little before 6:00, so we played and then I gave her a bath and got her ready. She had a poopy diaper when she woke up, a big one of just pee a little while later, and then poop again right before her bath. At least it's solid! Darren showered while I got her ready so he could take her for a walk while I showered. They got back just as I finished getting ready, and she was not happy because she wanted to be back outside. I don't blame her though. She will be much happier to be indoors when we get back home and the space isn't so confined.

I finished what I was doing, and we went to breakfast. Again, she fed herself a bowl of congee and tried french toast and regular toast. She liked them both! After breakfast, I had Darren stay in the halls with her while I went back to our room to pack our bag for our first couple of activities. I took a while because I boiled 2 pots of water to clean her snack and sippy cups. By the time I found them, Darren was sitting with her as she wallered on one of the red couches without her shoes and socks on. Another lovely day if tantrum-throwing. Darren was not happy. She was driving him crazy with the tantrums...me too, but REALLY pushing Darren to his wit's end. I don't like it either, but I am a little more patient about it and know we will have to work on it to make it better. I think she acts out because she can't communicate everything she needs to tell us, and she probably can't figure out everything we are telling her either. We'll all get there eventually!

We walked to the 7-11 to get some water, a coke, and a snack. Peyton had some chocolate-flavored pretzel sticks. They kept her occupied as we walked through the park. There were people everywhere, doing everything from practicing martial arts to ballroom dancing and playing a hackey sack type of game. Peyton loved watching that, and Darren bought one from a vendor as we exited, and the guy wanted Darren to kick it with him for a bit. It was fun!

Finally, it was time to meet Jason so we could walk to the clinic with 2 other families to check our TB test results. GOOD NEWS! Negative results, so we were all clear to bring her home with us later this week! Then we came back to the hotel for a bit before taking a hotel shuttle to a Pearl Market. The area we went to was huge and CRAZY! Jason said we should wear our backpacks on our fronts because there were pick-pockets there. We visited the pearl store but didn't buy anything. Peyton was starting to melt, but once we got to the escalator, she was happy. Darren and I each had her by one hand as we went up a series of 7 or 8 flights. When we would round a corner, we swung her off by both arms and went to the next one. When there were no more to ride, she tucked her feet under,  and we carried her for a while like that. So funny!

When we were finished with the pearls, I was glad several families wanted to eat and go back. Where did we eat? McDonalds!!! Yippee! Darren smiled and said, "Tastes just like at home." He was so happy! It was also Little P's first McDonalds! She liked the fries, but wouldn't try her nuggets or my hamburger. And she was way more interested in our water bottle than her happy meal toy!

On our way out, we got ice cream cones. I don't think she's ever had anything like it. When Darren touched it to her lips, she pulled back and made an unsure face. She tried it again and then pushed it away. I told Darren I thought she might want to do it herself. So he ate it down to the cone and gave it to her. I was right! She wanted to do it herself, and it kept her occupied for the cab ride back to our hotel. She had it all over her face, but she sure did enjoy it!

After that, there was no doubt she needed a nap, so we closed the curtains and turned out the lights. She cried and fought me for a few minutes, and then she was out like a light. She has been down for over an hour, which is good because we are doing a river boat tour with dinner this evening, so hopefully a nice, long nap will do her some good. Daddy is napping too. He loves his naps and has been absolutely exhausted since we arrived. Hopefully it gets better when we get back home, which we miss so much. I particularly miss my kitties and hope they don't think we've abandoned them. I can't wait to come home.

2 comments:

MexiGreek said...

Howdy Townsend Family!!

Can I just start and say how much I love your pictures.... SO CUTE!! And GREAT blogging!! You're going to have such a detailed record of your time; and you'll forget way more than you think you will. Darren... hang in there!!! The best things our kids do naturally is test our patience and keep us seriously humble!! ;o) Actually, you're right that the fits are a good sign, it also means she feels secure enough already and that you won't hurt her for acting out. They do get tiring though; we found beer is a good way to end the night because as wonderful as this all is, it is still exhausting and overwhelming.

Rich and I both heartily recommend the $10 massages at the hotel or down the street... (if you ask the front desk) They are WONDERFUL!

Oh, we so CAN'T WAIT to meet her!!!

Spokes Family said...

Ashley & Brooke love seeing all the pitures of Peyton. They want to take Peyton out to eat when you get back! I love hearing about all the fun times of being a parent -- we can't wait to see you and meet Peyton.