Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dream Sunday!

Sunday was gloomy and rainy – the perfect day to hang out inside and watch football.  We had such a great day!  Peyton wanted to hang out with daddy.  She climbed into his lap and played with her toys on the end table, in the chair, and on the ledge of the arch behind the chair where they were sitting.  Then, Darren’s dream came true.  She crawled into his lap after playing with me for a while and fell asleep while they watched football together.  Then Darren fell asleep, and they took a nap together in the chair.  It was precious, and it absolutely made Darren’s day.  She played off and on with both of us all day, allowing us to watch football while she played in the family room.  While the two of them slept, I took the opportunity to work on finishing up thank you notes that I am desperately needing to finish up and get out.  Later that evening, after she was in bed, I finally finished them.  Whoo hoo!  That was a huge weight lifted, and I hate that it took me so long to get them done.

 

We hit another milestone on Sunday – Peyton went poo poo on the potty!  She was standing at the coffee table playing with her toys when we noticed her making the faces she usually makes when she’s filling her diaper with a stinky surprise, so we picked her up and took her to the potty.  She was a little confused and wanted to get off after wiping her front, but we made her stay there.  The faces she was making while she pooped were hilarious.  I wish we would have gotten that on video, but we didn’t.  I kept signing “poop” to her (I sign it to her and show her what her poop looks like in her diaper so she could put two and two together when she finally pooped in the potty).  She gave me those questioning eyes and pointed to her bum.  I kept telling her yes, and finally, she did it!  We heard the kerplunk and took her off her potty seat so she could see what she’d done.  The faces she made were hilarious!  She pointed it and made a face as if to say, “That came out of my bum?” as she pointed to her back side.  We made a really big deal of it and gave her a Hershey’s Kiss – my mom potty-trained us by bribing us with candy, and I am not above that – whatever I have to do to reinforce the desired behavior!  We haven’t been able to get her to do that again, but she sure is interested in the toilet and signs, “potty” to us often.  Usually, we just take her diaper off, let her wipe, and watch her flush – all for nothing, but I don’t want to discourage her from using the toilet, so we play along for now and know she’ll eventually get it!

No comments: