Monday, October 11, 2010

Flat Acres Farm

Last Friday, my mom and I took Peyton to Flat Acres Farm in Parker.  Peyton’s preschool called and invited us to attend with the rest of the children from the pre-school (not a school-sponsored event – just the kids and parents getting together).  I was so excited to meet some of the other parents and for Peyton to meet some of her classmates.  She wasn’t very interested in the other children, but I met and enjoyed visiting with the other parents who attended.  I am anxious to get Peyton into preschool, where she can start interacting with them in a structured environment. 

 

Peyton didn’t want to walk on the rocks on the ground from the car to the entrance; she wasn’t quite sure what to think of the sand the swing set was sitting on; she wanted nothing to do with the huge things of corn kids could play in; and she certainly didn’t want to jump on the bouncy things!  She tolerated the animals, but I don’t think that she liked walking on the hay on the ground.  There was a corn maze, but we didn’t think she would like that since she doesn’t like being near plants.  One gentleman stopped us before we completely ruled it out to tell us it was a 30 minute maze.  We were so thankful for that information – it would have been really bad to have been stuck in a maze of corn with a child scared of plants!  So, we took her through the hay maze.  She didn’t mind that, but I’m sure she totally didn’t get why we were walking through it.  Then, the one thing I thought would freak her out, she loved!  It was the snake maze.  It was made of gigantic black tarps and rebar, made to look  like a gigantic snake, which had wrong turns, dead-ends, and fake spider webs.  She laughed when we made our way out (We didn’t take a single wrong turn!  I’m good!) and wanted to go back through it again, but I could see that another hay ride was about to begin, so we abandoned that idea and headed over to see if we could catch a ride.  We missed it, so we walked through the pumpkin patch and picked out a couple of miniature pumpkins for Peyton while we waited. 

 

When the hay ride tractor and wagon returned, we asked if there would be another ride taking place soon.  The gentleman told us it would be another 15 minutes or so, and another mom asked if she could take her kids’ pictures on the John Deere tractor.  He turned it off and was happy to allow them to sit on it and have a picture taken, so I asked if Peyton could also sit on it.  We COULD NOT get her off!  She LOVED it!  She sat there for the next 20 minutes while we waited for the next hay ride to commence, and she fussed when I took her off until she learned we were going to ride in the trailer.  The tractor and hay ride were the highlights of her day, and she could have stayed there all afternoon riding those two things if we would have let her.  This kid loves anything with wheels on it!  She is absolutely going to be in heaven when she finally gets to go to her Grandpa Taylor’s house to see and ride on all of his farm equipment. 

No comments: